Exploring the Colosseum area of the Eternal City
The Italian capital has a population of over two and a half million people, making it one of the largest metropolitan areas in Europe.
While Rome is a sprawling city, the area stretching from Vatican City, south-west to the Colosseum is where you will find many of the points of interest that you will likely have on your ‘Rome Must See List’.
This makes iconic the Colosseum area one of the top areas to stay!
The Colosseum itself is one of the most important (and recognisable!) monuments in Italy, if not the world, and this architectural masterpiece captivates your imagination in the heart of ancient Rome.
With a great range of Monastery Stays available at a short walk from the Colosseum, this is a great base for your visit to the Eternal City and once you have recounted stories of the Roman Empire, there is plenty more to explore in the ‘Centro Storico’!
The Colosseum is one of the most visited attractions in Rome.
There a range of tours day & night, including the surrounding Roman Forum and it is wise to plan ahead and pre-purchase a ‘Skip the Line’ tickets – particularly from April to October, when enduring queues can take the strength of a gladiator!
Monastery Stays offers many guest houses within walking distance of the Colosseum so that you are ideally located to explore and unravel the mysteries of ancient Rome.
What the Colosseum area offers
- Easy access to Termini Station: the main train station in Rome helps you stay connected to the whole city.
- Dine with a view: there are many restaurants, cafes and bars in the area offering a glimpse of the imposing arena and neighbouring Forum complex.
- Step into history: Take a stroll through the Foro Romano (Roman Forum), past some of the most amazing artefacts from Ancient Rome and recount your best Julius Caesar & Marc Antony.
- Breathtaking basilicas: the area is host to stunning churches, including the amazing Papal Basilicas – Santa Maria Maggiore and San Giovanni in Laterano.
- Ideal for a short break: if you only have a short time in Rome, this part of town is your ideal hub to take in as much as you can!
Staying near the Colosseum
There are many guest house options on the doorstep of the Colosseum and Forum. Some top choices include:
- Casa di Accoglienza Suore di Santa Elisabetta (LAR136) with a glorious rooftop terrace where you can take in a stunning view of the Rome skyline.
- Casa Il Rosario (LAR114) surrounded by cobblestone streets to explore and the Roman Forum just 5 minutes away.
- Casa Santa Sofia (LAR198) in a vibrant and cosmopolitan location, in view of the Colosseum.
- Villa Irlanda (LAR258) an oasis with a swimming pool in the heart of ancient Rome.
- Istituto San Giuseppe di Cluny (LAR134) with stunning cloisters, peaceful surroundings and everything on the doorstep.
- Suore Salesiane Dei Sacri Cuori (LAR199) offering beautifully presented rooms and a relaxing roof terrace, only a stones throw from the Colosseum.
Whether you are visiting Rome for the first time or returning again, the Colosseum area is a great place to stay. All guest houses here offer easy access to attractions, dining options and public transport.